Monday, April 29, 2024

Tulips: a Poem about Eyesight

"My eyes are dim

I cannot see

I have not brought my specs with me

(forte gusto) I ha-a-a-ve not broughhhht my specs with me!" 

 

So the old pub singalong, author unknown, song goes.

Poking fun at yet another undignified symptom of aging

Which my eyes have been doing for lo,

these many years 

But now with two separate operations

on right and left eyes

(the left still a startling red & white & blue eye

its sunburn peeled away, a graft from my inner eyelid applied) 

I long for clarity in all things

for the exact edge of the snowline descending Goat Mountain

for the love lighting up his green eyes

when he sees I've made rhubarb & apple cobbler...

for the tulip bulbs which arrived in our good neighbour's topsoil

unannounced & which now gladden the eyes of all who walk

or drive down our alley, to see

a waving bouquet, bright red & yellow tulips 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment