Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A Poem in Response to the Federal Budget of 2024

The highlights are not entirely unexpected
    housing  health  defence
A well-chosen trio of new parks
  which I want to explore and soon
Some smart strategic nuances make me cheer
  here early this morning alone at my desk
(Amateur policy wonk
Sociology nerd
Subscriber to the weekly Angus Reid polls
Part-time poet always and forever)
Like faster approval of medical professionals from far beyond
   these fortunate borders and pharmacare at last
Long overdue disability pension supplements and more for mental health
Which makes me remember certain faces, voices, cups of tea
Some highlights make me despair
   school lunches for another 400,000 kids
   confronting hate with money for training to educate and protect us
   from Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and all the other-isms which divide us
   turning some of us into simple-minded braying bigots, fearful, blaming, abusive
Oh let me not go down that path
Let me remember two hungry children, one five year old hiding under a bed
His eight year old brother on a tall cupboard in a dingy one room hotel suite
Hiding so a drunken father would not beat them
Let me remember their rescue instead, the breakfast I bought them first
 

PS: Life is not Fair, granted. I must resort to prose because I am angry despite my best efforts to be pure and distilled and even-tempered. Phooey to that well-mannered avoidance tactic! Paying our fair share of windfall income sets off a lot of squealing and squawking. So be it. Go hungry for two days and sleep under a bed or on top of a cupboard. Imagine choosing between rent, food, heating or asthma inhaler ($100 without a plan). Think hard before voting for a wee neo-fascist nitwit with limited life experience beyond his safe and privileged seat in a wealthy riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment