Thursday, April 13, 2023

Remembering Molly Brown the Unsinkable Lighthouse Dog

 Here’s something a little different today because my camera and I cannot do justice to the large snow flakes drifting down today, April 13th, in Eastend, Saskatchewan. It’s actually very beautiful but my photos make it merely grey. That will never do.

So while looking through a notebook where I’ve kept writing ideas, rough drafts and random notes over the years, I came across a poem I wrote in 2010 for our new young pup, the unsinkable Molly Brown. It made me laugh and I hope, come rain, snow or shine wherever you are, it will make you laugh at our little lighthouse minx as well! 

We miss her still.

 

The Flirtatious Bodacious Ms. Molly Brown

Our new pup is like certain Grade 9 girls I recall
She loses her mind at the sight of men
She wiggles and giggles and trots after them all
Men in tool belts, oh my my
Men on ladders balancing paint cans
Men landing on our helicopter pad
Men, weary, with coffee mugs in hand
Men urgently speaking into radio-phones
Men with lethal machines to run
Oh, men, men, men!
Molly Brown swoons at the merest whiff
Of diesel, shaving cream, bacon, Players tobacco
Manly men-of-action aromas
We, her people, are just chopped liver, dull fare

It’s time to graduate, Ms. Brown
Time to saunter past the men, aloof
Time to make them drool first, not you
Time to emulate The Cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment